Director of Membership, Business Development and Fun
The Cincinnati Zoo & Botanical Garden is known for many things- our conservation efforts, our green initiatives, our friendly staff… but did you know that we have a strong set of core values that make us the best team around, and a Top Workplace in Cincinnati? We’re more than coworkers… we’re family. By building Collaborative Relationships, displaying Positivity & Energy, having Pride, Passion & a Sense of Ownership, supporting Accountability, Mutual Trust & Respect, and embracing Progressive Thinking, we have built a team of dedicated staff that focuses on our visitors, our community & our future.
This is what we believe and how we act. If these get you fired up, maybe you belong in our Zoo!
Position Summary: This position is responsible for the development, execution and management of the processes and campaigns that support membership acquisition, retention and stewardship. Additional responsibilities include collaboration on revenue generating and visitor experience building projects with other Visitor Experience department team members).
Representative responsibilities/duties include, but are not limited to:
- Strategically grow membership through analysis of data and trends
- Annually refine and advance processes that drive member satisfaction and revenue
- Manage on-line and phone communication with members and others utilizing excellent oral and written skills with attention to detail, quality-assurance and follow-through
- Manage monthly mail and e-mail renewal campaigns
- Manage annual direct mail acquisition and digital marketing campaigns (Spring & Fall)
- Report regularly on membership metrics such as revenue, member households and retention rate
- Develop and manage department revenue and expense budget
- Assist with development of annual materials for membership promotion and fulfillment
- Develop and implement pricing and benefit changes as necessary
- Develop & evolve business development opportunities within and outside of the department
- Support management of Member Services
- Manage duties of Coordinator of Member Relations & Fun as necessary
Working Conditions: Employment is conditional on successful completion of a pre-employment drug & nicotine screen and background check. While performing the duties of the job, the incumbent is regularly required to sit and work at a desk for extended periods of time, stand, walk, and utilize manual dexterity to use computer mouse and keyboard and other office equipment. The incumbent may be exposed to outside weather conditions and must be able to lift/move/carry up to 40 pounds without assistance. Must have and maintain a valid driver’s license with an insurable driving record.
Education & Experience
College degree; Marketing, communications, and/or membership experience preferred. Excellent customer service experience required; knowledge of cash handling and auditing procedures preferred; equivalent combinations of education and experience sufficient to successfully perform the essential duties of the job will be considered; command of Windows-based software and applications is required.
Required Knowledge, Skills & Abilities
- Understanding and acceptance of the Core Values and Behaviors of the Cincinnati Zoo & Botanical Garden
- Exceptional organizational and interpersonal skills that are delivered with high energy & a positive attitude
- Ability to think creatively and strategically and suggest alternative member acquisition and retention solutions as the market continues to evolve
- Excellent customer service skills; marketing and communication knowledge and background
- Understanding of membership database software (Galaxy) as well as standard MS Office programs (Word, Excel, Outlook)
- Attention to detail along with strong planning and organizational skills, including ability to manage complex responsibilities
- Must be timely and reliable in attendance and performance. Ability to work well with staff, volunteers, Zoo donors and prospects, as well as the public
Position Details & Benefits: This full-time position is overtime-exempt, and subject to the successful completion of a 180-day probationary period. This position is eligible for the Zoo’s benefits programs for non-union employees The Cincinnati Zoo & Botanical Garden offers a comprehensive benefits package including affordable medical, dental & vision coverage; 401(k) plan with company match; flexible spending accounts; generous paid time off (vacation, holiday and sick leave); company-paid disability & life insurance; park discounts and free passes.
To apply for this position: All qualified applicants must apply via our online application on our website at http://cincinnatizoo.org/about-us/job-opportunities/. Cover letter and resume should be attached to your online application.
Applications will be reviewed as they are received, with the intent of filling the position as soon as possible with the best candidate.
Founded in 1873 and officially open in 1875, the Cincinnati Zoo & Botanical Garden is the second oldest Zoo in the United States. Rated by peer zoological parks as one of the best zoos in the nation, the Cincinnati Zoo continues to set the standard for conservation, education and preservation of wild animals and wild spaces. Over 1.8 million people visit the Zoo annually. The Zoo features more than 500 animal and 3,000 plant species, making it one of the largest Zoo collections in the country.
The Cincinnati Zoo & Botanical Garden was rated the #1 attraction in Cincinnati and one of the top five zoos in the nation by Zagat Survey. It has also been recognized by Child Magazine as one of “The 10 Best Zoos for Kids.” The Zoo is an accredited member of the American Zoo & Aquarium Association (AZA), and is internationally known for its success in the protection and propagation of endangered animals and plants, and engages in research and conservation projects worldwide.
The Cincinnati Zoo & Botanical Garden is an equal opportunity employer and does not and will not discriminate against any applicant or employee based on race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, national origin, age, disability, veteran status or other protected status. Women and minorities are encouraged to apply.