ACADEMIC COORDINATOR JOB DESCRIPTION
Type: Full Time
Start date: Immediately
The Cincinnati Squash Academy (CSA) is a sports & education nonprofit that uses the game of squash to help transform talented students in under-resourced communities into scholar-athletes and future leaders with character on the pathway to postsecondary success and beyond. CSA provides year-round support in the following areas: academics, athletics, cultural exposure, community service, and mentorship. CSA is part of a national network of urban squash programs that exist across the country under the umbrella of the Squash & Education Alliance.
Overview: The Academic Coordinator is responsible for creating, delivering, and overseeing the educational portion of our youth development program. By building strong relationships with students, families, and school partners, the Coordinator will provide holistic support to help students stay on track to achieve their postsecondary goals.
Note: This position does not require any previous knowledge of, or experience playing, squash.
The Ideal Candidate: The Cincinnati Squash Academy is looking for an early career, energetic individual who is passionate about youth development and educational equity. This person should have an innovative approach to work, an entrepreneurial spirit, and be eager to take ownership of the academic program while understanding the pros & cons of working in a nimble nonprofit.
- Lead the after-school academic tutoring program for 4th-12th grade students
- Facilitate college prep activities (ACT/SAT testing, college tours, resume-building, etc.) to ensure high school students transition into a postsecondary program following high school graduation
- Coordinate with the Program Director and college counselor to assist with activities supporting our postsecondary students
- Build meaningful and lasting relationships with students, teachers, families, and volunteers and contribute to our sense of community and family feel
- Utilize Salesforce and Google Sheets to track all student data
- Create and implement plans for academic improvement
- Design and implement school-year curriculum enrichment
- Plan and lead summer camp academic activities and field trips
- Manage and train volunteer tutors to provide small-group and 1v1 tutoring during academic sessions
- Manage/oversee all aspects of CSA’s relationship with UMC Food Ministries, which provides the after-school snacks
- Manage/develop our school partnerships, including relationships with teachers and resource coordinators; communicate frequently with the school staff about student progress, behavior, and assignments
- Manage/develop relationships with organizational partners for scholarship and enrichment opportunities; oversee application processes for external opportunities
- Assist students and families with navigating high school choice and private school application process; manage related deadlines and documentation
- Communicate frequently with and engage parents/guardians about student performance, upcoming field trips, and opportunities
- Act as an ambassador for the organization and assist with development events and stewardship as needed
- School Year: Monday through Friday 10 am to 6 pm, Saturdays 10 am to 1230 pm, and 2-3 out-of-town trips per year.
- Summer: Monday through Friday 9 am to 5 pm
- Opportunities for remote work outside of direct programming hours.
Qualifications & Skills:
While no one person will embody all the qualities enumerated below, the ideal candidate will possess many of the following professional and personal abilities, attributes, and experiences
- Bachelor’s degree
- Experience in youth education, teaching, and/or counseling
- Comfort tutoring and supporting students’ academic development
- Ability to relate effectively to diverse groups of people from a variety of backgrounds
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills
- Strong interpersonal skills
- Thrives in a collaborative and fast-paced environment
- Self-motivated, proactive, and willing to “roll-up sleeves” to execute day-to-day activities
- Valid driver’s license
- Ability to pass a criminal background check and driving record check
- Competitive salary ($42,000 to $48,000), commensurate with experience
- Generous benefits package:
– Health, dental, and vision coverage
– PTO policy: 25 days (2 weeks in December, 1 week in March, and 10 flex days); most national holidays
– 401k plan
- Opportunity to work in a dynamic, small non-profit and make a difference in the community
- Opportunities for advancement in a growing organization
- “Hype” video used to recruit students
- What The Kids Say About CSA video
- REACH Values video
- General Information Deck
- CSA Instagram Account
To Apply: Please submit a cover letter, resume, and three references to our hiring committee at the following email address: firstname.lastname@example.org.
Equal Opportunity Employer: Cincinnati Squash Academy is committed to building a culturally and racially diverse staff and is an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability status, protected veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by law.