Director of Development
The Foundation of Compassionate American Samaritans (FOCAS) is a 29 year old Evangelical faith-based organization located in a Cincinnati, Ohio community called Over-the-Rhine and Covington, Ky. We serve the tri-state area through such ministry operations: The Lord’s Gyms, The Street Outreach Ministry (STORM), and The Family Activity Center. We also have a Child Sponsorship Program in Haiti. To learn more about FOCAS, our statement of faith and operations go to www.FOCAS-US.org .
Reports to Executive Director
Summary Job Description – Director of Development
The Development Director will be responsible for developing and implementing the development strategy for FOCAS. Reporting to the Executive Director, the Development Director will be responsible for achieving FOCAS’s fundraising goals and engaging sponsors in ongoing relationship activities. This includes leveraging key relationships and contacts within and outside of the Tri-State area to ensure meeting revenue and organizational goals (OGSMs) in Cincinnati and Northern Kentucky.
Much of your time will not be sitting behind a desk, rather you will be out meeting and engaging prospective donors in meaningful discussions, inviting them to visit/participate FOCAS outreaches and helping them decide how they can make a difference in the lives of at risk men, women, and children. The ideal candidate will have demonstrated the ability to create/execute capital campaigns, successfully identify prospective major donors, build sustained relationships, engage them as loyal donors, close gifts and have been responsible for securing $500,000 to a $1 million dollar budget.
- To be sensitive to the Spirit’s leading in all circumstances as it relates to fundraising.
- To maintain highest integrity standards and use of donors funds in building the kingdom of God. (Adhering and supporting standards of ECFA)
- Create and implement annual development plan and strategy (Objectives, Goals, Strategies, and Measures OGSMs) to include annual fundraising events.
- Lead and manage the FOCAS’s overall development efforts to raise the annual budget established by the FOCAS board of trustees.
- Develop and grow our individual donor base; manage and execute annual community awareness giving campaign; cultivate major gifts, and create/execute capital campaigns. Understands importance of relationship building and correspondence
- Develop and implement comprehensive marketing and public relations strategy
- Plan and execute annual fundraising events to include: Fall Community Awareness Breakfasts, and the Pump N Run.
- Cultivate and nurture relationships with current and potential corporate & foundation sponsors.
- Write grant proposals and reports to corporate, foundation, and government funders as opportunities make sense.
- Understand the different sources where funds come from and how to approach them for maximum effectiveness: i.e. Social Media, Newsletter, Individual Meetings
- Train and lead other staff to support fundraising and marketing efforts as appropriate.
- Source Team Sponsorships for events such as Pump N Run and other programs.
- Be familiar with and knowledgeable of FOCAS’ fundraising software to leverage and exploit data
- Shares in some level of ministry with FOCAS patrons on a weekly basis. (10% – 15% of your time)
- Help keep desk, office and general area clean.
- Bachelor’s degree and/or equivalent prior experience.
- Mature believer in Christ, accountable and committed Christian, attending worship services regularly, effective prayer life.
- 3-5 years of nonprofit fundraising/development experience.
- Proven track record of achieving revenue targets up to $1M annually
- Excellent project planning, program management and budget management skills.
- Excellent personal organizational, interpersonal, and communication skills
- Can work independently and manage multiple tasks
- Demonstrated ability to write clearly and persuasively
- Demonstrated ability to think strategically and thorough understanding of strategic development
- Demonstrated ability to prospect, cultivate, and develop new relationships. Includes working across multi-generational givers and what motivates these givers to invest.
- Proven management and leadership capabilities.
- Experience working with Senior Level executives
- High energy, positive, “can-do” attitude, flexibility, work independently while being a team player, and attention to detail; high degree of initiative.
- Highly relational at ALL socio-economic levels.
- Strong partnership-building and event planning skills
- Thorough understanding of all components of a diversified funding base.
- Very competent computer skills, and knowledge social media and data base programs
The position is open and ready for the right person. Confidential nominations and applications are encouraged on or before Friday, Oct 30th, 2015. Serious candidates must include a cover letter specific to this opportunity with FOCAS (generic responses will be returned), resume, compensation expectations, with email and telephone numbers. In the cover letter please explain why you believe God is leading you to pursue this opportunity. Professional, personal, and a pastoral references will eventually be required. Confidentiality is assured all parties; no listed references will be contacted without prior approval by nominee/applicant. Send resume to HR@FOCAS-US.org or Attn: Human Resources, FOCAS, PO Box 428760, Cincinnati, Ohio 45242. NO Calls Please.