Seeking Major Gifts Officer
Definition and Primary Objective
Under the direction of the Vice President of Advancement, the Major Gift Officer is responsible for developing, implementing, and scaling a comprehensive major gift program for Learning Grove to achieve short-term and long-term financial goals. The position focuses on securing private support from individuals, foundations, and corporations at the $50,000 and above level.
Reports to: Vice President of Advancement
Direct reports: none
Essential Duties And Responsibilities
- Manage a portfolio of 100-120 major gift prospects by developing, documenting, and implementing appropriate identification, qualification, cultivation, solicitation, and stewardship strategies
- Execute prospect strategies, continually tracking touches, and collaborate with the Vice President of Advancement, CEO, board members, and community volunteers as appropriate to establish and strengthen relationships with major donors
- Develop major gift request strategies that focus on the needs of the organization, tailored to the specific interests and capacity of individual prospects; personally solicit prospects and donors on a regular basis in accordance with fundraising goals and programmatic priorities
- Proactively research and identify major gift prospects; partner with the Vice President of Advancement and Director of Donor Relations to identify high-potential prospects from other fundraising programs, including individual giving, corporate partnerships, and grants
- Develop, monitor, and achieve revenue targets and moves-management success metrics; provide coaching on best practices in prospect qualification, solicitation strategy, and cultivation techniques to staff and volunteers as necessary
- Document all activity in the donor database according to defined protocol to drive fundraising and key metrics reports; prepare briefings for staff and board members on prospects and donors in advance of in-person meetings, solicitations, and events
- Create impact reports and other cultivation and stewardship materials to personally acknowledge and engage donors in the Learning Grove mission
- Work closely with the VP of Advancement, Director of Donor Relations, and Development Coordinator to create compelling donor events, activities, outreach, and communications for the purpose of enhancing the donor experience and effectively cultivating high-potential prospects
- Other special projects as they arise to support organizational goals
EDUCATION AND EXPERIENCE
A bachelor’s degree in a relevant field, and at least five years of professional experience in major gift fundraising within a nonprofit organization; or some equivalent combination of education and/or experience. CFRE credential a plus.
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS AND ABILITIES
- Demonstrated success in identifying, qualifying, cultivating, soliciting, and stewarding major donors for gifts of $50,000 and above
- Ability to effectively engage board members and community volunteers in fundraising
- Exceptional interpersonal, oral, and written communication skills
- Strong planning and implementation skills
- Results-driven professional with an ability to work independently
- Ability to work a flexible schedule; availability on evenings and weekends for meetings and events
- Experience using technology and development software to support fundraising activities; experience with SalsaLabs preferred
- Proficiency in Microsoft Outlook, Word, and Excel
- Innate curiosity and interest in people, which drives the desire for deeper, better understood relationships
- Extensive knowledge of development principles, fundraising ethics, and laws and regulations concerning charitable contributions
The physical demands are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
While performing the duties of this job, the employee is regularly required to: Regularly required to sit, stand, walk, bend and lift objects up to 20 pounds.